Off-Post Housing

Back to the Housing Services page

Site Search


House Hunting in Bavaria

  • There is adequate off-post housing: apartments, penthouses, maisonette apartments [which are two- floored apartments], townhouses, duplexes, and free-standing houses.

    The square meter prices are high and, therefore, some units will be priced higher than the Overseas Housing Allowance rate (OHA). Apartments, townhouses, and duplexes are generally less expensive and are easier to find.

    Large homes or free-standing single houses, with multiple bathrooms, large yards and 5+ bedrooms are more difficult to find and are usually located outside school zones.

    Use German real estate agencies (immobilien) at your own risk. These agencies charge hidden fees and verbal agreements can be binding.

Houses to View

Military Reservist

  • All military reservist on per diem for six month or more must contact the UPH office for assistance with short-term furnished off-post apartments.

OHA for Military Off-Post Residents

  • While stationed overseas and living off-post, military personnel will receive OHA instead of Basic Allowance Housing (BAH).

    Rent caps for off-post housing are established by rank. A service member will either receive OHA based on rent or the rent cap, whichever is less. Service member will also receive a monthly utility allowance that will help offset utility costs.

    Rates & allowances

Advance Housing Allowance–Army Only

  • Take a signed copy of the USAG Bavaria rental contract to your unit personnel administration (S1) to request an advance Advance Housing Allowance form to pay the first month rent and security deposit, that typically equals two months rent.

    For details, contact your unit finance office.

Off-Post Referral Services

  • Off-Post Housing Website

    The Off-Post Housing website, contains the housing referral listings in Bavaria. Search "USAG Bavaria".

    Aspen Consulting Contractor is the Community Home Finding, Relocation and Referral Service office. Services are free to military and U.S. government civilians. They do not serve contractors.

    All homes listed on the website are equipped with a furnished kitchen and light fixtures, and managed by landlords that accept the housing contract rules.

    Prior to arrival, and only if eligible for off-post housing, visit the website to get an idea of the types and sizes of homes in Bavaria. This may also help customers determine the amount of furniture to ship and leave in storage.

    Please keep in mind that German homes can be a lot smaller compared to homes in the U.S.

    Average room sizes are smaller, and may be spread out over 2-4 floors. The yards are usually small to medium-sized and some homes do not have closets.

    Free-standing, single-family homes are significantly more expensive and harder to find than apartments.

    Large apartments near all the bases in the Bavaria area are available. Some are spread out over two floors, giving the feeling of a house.

  • Off-Post Referral Forms

    U.S. Government Civilians: The housing brief is a mandatory requirement. Please bring a copy of PCS orders and a completed DD 1746 form to the housing brief.

    The housing office will use the DD 1746 to update or create the customer housing record.

    Reminder: Service members and U.S. government civilians should not enter into a rental contract (written or verbal) in advance of the housing brief or in-processing step.

Inspections for Military and Civilian personnel

  • It is highly recommended that all military and civilian personnel have an assignment (in-check) and termination (out-check) home inspection.

    Initial in-check and final out-check inspections will be conducted with the service member or employee (tenant), the Landlord and one of the Aspen inspectors.

    Schedule all inspection appointments with Aspen at least 2 weeks in advance.

Pre-Out-Check Inspections

  • All pre-out Inspection requests have to be approved in advance. It's recommended to identify any outstanding issues or deficiencies in enough time to correct them prior to scheduling the final out-check inspection.

    The pre out-check should be completed in the presence of the landlord or the landlord's property manager.

Move-In Housing Allowance

  • Move In Housing Allowance or MIHA is an allowance for off-post rentals for military personnel only.

    There are several types including miscellaneous and in special cases the realtor fee.

    Miscellaneous allowance is a one-time payment designed to defray the setup cost for an off-post rental, such as transformers, curtains and other items.

    MIHA for realtor fee reimbursement

    Realtor fees may be authorized for service members that have special housing needs. For example:

    • Five or more bedrooms
    • ADA compliant home for handicapped family members
    • Family members enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program
    • Circumstances that are deemed unique and unusual by the Housing Chief or Garrison Commander

German Laws & Quiet Hours

  • Landlord rental law

    Landlords in Germany have the right to choose their tenants based on personal preference. A Landlord or property manager may interview potential tenants and then choose their tenants.

    German rental law allows for landlords to request to assess pets for behavioral concerns and fit in the neighborhood. For example, a landlord may ask the prospective tenant to meet his/her dog and then both landlord and tenant may take a walk with the dog. If the dog appears untrained or aggressive, the landlord may decide not to rent the building to the tenant. A landlord may ask for a pet deposit.

    Quiet Hours

    German law places limits on noise levels. Evening quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

    Daytime quiet hours are from 1–3 p.m.

    The use of lawn mowers and other gardening machines,or any noise making machine is from 7 a.m.–1 p.m. and from 3–7 p.m.

    On Sundays and German Federal holidays, quiet hours are 24 hours - all day and night.

    Special occasions, such as the World Cup or a wedding are the exceptions to the quiet hours law.

Hours & Contact Information

Customer Service

  • For any question or request on housing issues not listed on this page or any other linked pages, call or send us an email.

  • Phone: DSN 475-8181, CIV 09641-83-8181

  • Email the housing office.


  • Unaccompanied Housing: DSN 476-2992/475-6580, CIV 09662-83-2992/09641-83-6580

  • Government Leased: DSN 475-8623, CIV 09641-83-8623, Email

  • Government Owned: DSN 475-6269, CIV 09641-83-6269, Email, Submit a work order.

  • Private Rental (Off-Post): DSN 475-6245, CIV 09641-83-6245, Email

  • Appliance Repairs: DSN 475-6227, CIV 09641-83-6227, Email


  • Assignment & Termination: DSN 466-2705/2616, CIV 09472-83-2705/2616

  • BEQ & BOQ: DSN 466-2509, CIV 09472-83-2509

  • Private Rental: DSN 466-2606/4412, CIV 09472-83-2606/4412

  • Furnishings: DSN 466-2622/2874, CIV 09472-83-2622/2874

  • Appliance Repairs: DSN 475-6227, CIV 09641-83-6227


  • Housing Office & Furniture Management: DSN 440-3660/3531, CIV 08821-750-3660/3531

  • Housing Referral Office: DSN 440-3445, CIV 08821-750-3445